The Hog and Chequers Inn in Chadley Lane was demolished in 1926 to allow alterations to be made to the Vicarage corner. One of the landlords of the Inn was a Mr Robert Bullard who was also a rod merchant and basket maker.
Rod peeling was a large seasonal industry in Godmanchester and each spring rods were cut from osier beds in and around Godmanchester and taken to Chadley Lane.
Mr Bullard employed many local woman and children to peel and lay out the rods on trestles to dry. At times the lane was so full of drying rods and rod peelers that no vehicles could enter it.